About the Journal
Archaeologia Austriaca is an archaeological journal founded in 1948 as a successor of the Wiener Prähistorische Zeitschrift (1914‒1943), covering palaeoanthropology, prehistory and the early history of Austria. In the course of the launch of the OREA Institute in 2013, the journal’s geographic and cultural emphasis on the archaeology of Europe was further expanded beyond Austria.
Focus and Scope
Archaeologia Austriaca covers all periods from the Palaeolithic to modern times, which are subject to archaeological, anthropological and interdisciplinary investigations, including natural sciences application. Archaeologia Austriaca publishes articles, research reports, special sections and book reviews. Publication languages are predominantly German and English.
The editor-in-chief of the journal is supported by the ten members of an international advisory board and four members of the local editorial board, which comprises leading staff of the Department of Prehistory & West Asian/Northeast African Archaeology of the Austrian Archaeological Institute (OeAI) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Prehistoric and Historical Archaeology (IUHA) of the University of Vienna. Both boards help the editorial team in their search and choice of external reviewers.
Peer Review Process
Archaeologia Austriaca is a peer-reviewed journal (blind review). The editor-in-chief, the boards and editorial staff must not disclose any information about a submitted manuscript to anyone other than the author and reviewers (including potential reviewers). At least two positive external reviews are required for an article to be accepted for publication. Reviewers are asked to return their reviews within 6 weeks.
For previous issues see: